DIY Massage with a Tennis Ball

Friday, March 29, 2013

Getting a massage is not always an option to relieve sore muscles for a gymnast.  I love getting a massage done by a professional masseurs. (Thanks Groupon, you save my wallet from complete extinction!)  When I'm on the go or can't squeeze in the time to head down to the spa between coaching, being Mama or doing other awesome stuff I reach for this go-to object.






Because of its size, a tennis ball provides on the spot muscle relief wherever you are.



Here's how I've been using mine:


  •  For leg muscles I sit down on the floor with my legs outstretched and place the ball underneath myself where the thigh meets my bum. I slowly move from side-to-side and let the ball work itself over my muscles, placing my hands on the floor for support. This motion can be worked all the way down leg. After that's done, I turn over and place the tennis ball under the front of my thigh and start the rolling motion all over again.
  • For my back after all that spotting cast handstands on bars, I place a tennis ball between myself and a wall — this works especially well for the muscles near the neck and shoulders. Lean back into the ball and let it roll back and forth over your muscles.
  • Use a tennis ball underneath the arch of your foot to relieve tired muscles. Sit down in a chair and place the tennis ball under your foot. Put some pressure on the ball and let it roll up and down the muscles of the foot. This is an easy way to get a great foot massage.

The basic idea is that you can work a tennis ball into a trigger point with just a little bit of pressure. If you need to cover greater surface area, put a few tennis balls into a long sock and tie off the end.

Do you do any self-massaging at home or in the gym? I would love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger