Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, What's up?

Monday, April 8, 2013

I haven't been working out in a long time. I've been putting excuses in for myself and it's about time I get back into the swing of things. Last go at the INSANITY workout, I found myself having to leave the country and head to a 3 day wedding giving up on the workout plan. Another problem is, I get sore. Very, very sore. While I appreciate a little post-workout pain, I deal with serious delayed onset muscle soreness, aka DOMS.


I thought I would take this painful lesson as a chance to review the best strategies for dealing with DOMS. I know there are many gymnasts who may experience DOMS, especially if you are like me getting back into the gym from a long break. For a refresher course on the subject, read more.
  • DOMS is defined as pain usually felt 12 to 48 hours after exercising, but can last as long as a week. It is a commonly held theory that the pain comes from microscopic tears in the muscles and the swelling associated with those tears. Sometimes you can actually see or feel the swelling.
  • In 2007, an Australian study found that stretching did not relieve the pain associated with DOMS. I feel, though, that stretching the muscles when sore helps to build more elasticity in the new muscle fibers.
  • The soreness should go away by itself, but do avoid any vigorous activity that makes the pain worse. Light aerobic exercise can help the healing process by bringing fresh blood to the sore muscles.
  • Some people find pain relief in massage, although this doesn't necessarily improve muscular function.Taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAID) like ibuprofen can help relieve the pain, but like massage, this will not speed your recovery time.
  • A proper warmup can help reduce the symptoms associated with DOMS. Increasing blood flow to muscles with light cardio makes them more elastic, so they are more resistant to micro-tearing.
  • When you're experiencing DOMS, your muscles are actually weaker. Keep this in mind and avoid strenuous activities until the pain has subsided, because you are more likely to injure yourself.
Here's to less complaining! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger