Healthy & Easy Snacking for Gymnasts: Pre, During & Post Workout Printable

Thursday, November 7, 2013

So, I've got to confess, I fell off this amazing clean eating that gave me this powerful energy in and out of the gym. I blame the pregnancy for my indulging in ridiculous amounts of dairy, donuts and chocolate for my meals snackin'. With 10 more weeks to go until we get to meet this little gymmy doing flips in my tummy, I'm getting the household back on track with healthy, clean eating.

Foot down, are you ready to do the same?

For you all out there scrambling to find EASY snacks for your amazing gymnast. Here is a list I made. I now keep it on my fridge and use it as a reference to keep us in full swing.

Pre-Workout Snacks 

•Apple & nut butter
•Bananas & peanut butter
•Cottage cheese & fruit
•Avocado
•Small bowl of cereal
•Whole grain english muffin
•Pita bread with hummus
•Fig newtons
•Trail mix
•Veggie strips
•Energy bar

Mid Workout Snacks 

•Grapes
•Kiwi slices
•Cut Papaya cubes
•Sunflower seeds

Post Workout Snacks 

•Banana
•Coconut Water
•Fresh fruit juice
•Pineapple
•Veggie Juice
•Dates & Nuts
•Cherries
•Natural Peanut butter & apple wrap
•Sweet potato
•Frozen grapes
•edamame

I'm hoping this list will help you out when you are trying to pick snacks out for your gymnast. It doesn’t always have to be an Iced Milo and a bag of chips. Mix it up!

Since you read through the whole thing I will reward you with a freebie.


Now all I need you to print this out, post it on your fridge & fuel those bodies! 

Download the Pre, During & Post Workout Printable by clicking here & saving from Slideshare!






5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I have an 8yr old girl who is currently a (new) level 3. She is thicker than the other girls in her level. The only thing she struggles with is bars - she is having a hard time with the glide kip. She is so disappointed in herself about it. I told her to keep working on it. I have also been changing things that she eats as well.

    Her gym time is Tues/Thurs - 5pm-8pm. I have tried to give her a nutritious lite meal before gym and I send her with fruit for a snack during gym. When she gets home she has either a bowl of oatmeal or cereal. There are times before gym that all she wants is an energy bar. If she does that, then I pack her a cheese stick or something along those lines to go with her fruit.

    Is there something else I can do to help her slim down? She is very strong so I know most of what she is carrying around is muscle but she still carries around "baby fat" as well.

    At this point should I be concerned about her achieving the skills needed to move on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,

      I empathize with both your daughter's frustrations getting her kip (the hardest of all gymnastics skills in the world to master!) and your feelings towards her nutrition and weight.

      For any female, young aspiring gymnast to fully grown into adulthood we are constantly thrown in our faces...what we should look like, what is considered beauty and why we feel horribly about ourselves. I don't believe to achieve our goals in this sport all gymnasts must fit a certain body type, fit into a certain sized leotard or look a certain way physically to WOW a judge over. That is the beauty of sport....it doesn't matter, what does matter is HOW you perform it.

      Saying this, encourage her to eat to fuel her body. Good fuel in a race-car helps the car go fast, while really poor quality fuel makes it slow and sluggish and no fuel at all...well we all know that car isn't going anywhere. Show her which fuels will work the best to help her performance. Take note of her energy levels with what foods she eats as well. All bodies are different so one person who takes well to nuts and berries may not have the same effect if they eat animal proteins.

      Kips take an incredible amount of strength. And this learning process makes you feel like you just can't get anything right until you get THE KIP.To help her feel like she is working towards her goal. Have her come up with strength goals on a weekly basis. For example, working her way up to 20 leg-lifts in a row. Every day beat what she did the day before. Then when she masters that, she can do them from an L-hold position which is super-hard! She can also do V-ups with perfect form to a certain number. She can come up with whatever she feels or you can ask her coach what type of kip specific conditioning she can do at home safely. I'm certain her coach will be happy to help. :)

      Delete
    2. Also, I just looked at your profile and love that you are a homeschooling mom! I will be reaching out for some great tips I'm sure you hold in your heart.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Casie. I try to be an encouragement to Cathryn and let her know that with hard work on her part she can achieve anything she sets her mind to. I get the different kids have different bodies. My older daughter definitely has a runners/soccer body. She has strong legs with thicker thighs (like her mama) but she as always been lean. I guess I assumed both girls would be similar in size, but I am realizing that they are not. Cathyn loves gymnastics and I want to make sure I do everything I can to help her reach her goals, whatever they may be.

    I am always happy to help with any homeschool questions. I am by far not an expert, but I know what works for us and am always happy to help others find a path that works for them.

    Thank you again for your time and insight.

    Carol Rosenberg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Focus on more complex carbs than simple carbs. Water is also over looked for losing weight. You should drink 1oz of water per pound. So if you weigh 100lbs drink 50 0z a day. Don't forget protein.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger