Does heat make muscles worse?

Thursday, May 2, 2013


Q: When I have a tough workout at the gym and conditioning is just crazy, my muscles are so tight and sore. I love to get into a hot shower to relieve my pain, but I read somewhere that heat can make the pain worse. Is this true? Should I take a cool shower instead?



A: Heat or Ice? hmmm, let me try to put that question to rest.

If you have an injury, like a pulled muscle or a sprained ankle, ice is needed to reduce swelling.

However, sore muscles indicate that you have microscopic tears in the fibers. This is normal and means you challenged your muscles. As the fibers heal they become stronger, making you stronger. When you heat your muscles either with a hot bath, heating pad, or warm compress, it helps to bring blood to the area, which aids in healing.

So go ahead and step into your steamy shower or jump in a hot bath after a grueling practice. Massage will also soothe your tight muscles, so it's a great excuse to make an appointment for a little pampering.

The next day (hopefully you do not have gymnastics practice) if you're still sore, do some low-impact exercise, or work other muscle groups — the circulation of blood will ease your discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger